What Documents are needed when buying a Number Plate?


As part of the vehicles (Crime) Act 2001 it is a requirement that both proof of identity AND proof of entitlement are provided when purchasing vehicle registration plates.


At least one document from each of the following lists must be provided:


List 1 – Documents to confirm identity:


– A bill issued by by an electricity, gas or water supplier, a land-line telephone bill or a council tax bill

– A bank or building society statement

– A passport (whether or not issued in the United Kingdom)

– A national identity card issued by the Government of a state or territory other than the United Kingdom

– A debit or credit card issued by a bank or building society (the requirement for a photograph will no longer apply)

– A police warrant card

– An armed forces identity card


List 2 – Documents to establish entitlement:


– The preferred document is a vehicle registration certificate (V5C)

– Tear off slip from V5 (V5C/2)

– Certificate of entitlement to a registration mark (V750)

– Cherished transfer retention document (V778)

– Vehicle licence renewal form (V11)

– Temporary registration certificate (V379)

– Authorisation certificate (V948)

– A letter of authorisation from a fleet operator (including a lease/hire company). Please note that the letter must quote the document reference number from the V5C. Quoting the vehicle identification number will no longer be acceptable.